Healthfirst NJ Gives Back to the Community During the Holiday Season
NEWARK, NJ, February 4, 2011 - Healthfirst Health Plan of New Jersey, Inc. (Healthfirst NJ) focused on giving back to the communities it serves during the 2010 holiday season, by participating in, hosting and sponsoring more than a dozen community events and donating over 2,500 toys to children in need.
“The holidays can be an especially difficult time for the elderly and those in need,” said Terence L. Byrd, President of Healthfirst NJ. “I’m pleased and very proud that Healthfirst NJ made a strong collaborative effort to help these individuals. We feel honored that so many community groups were interested in working with us and we hope to continue and build on the tradition of giving back throughout the year.”
Holiday events for seniors and families included festive music, holiday sing-a-longs and caroling, trivia contests, give-a-ways and games. Children’s activities included the donation and distribution of toys at various events throughout Healthfirst NJ’s service areas, and arranging visits from Santa Claus and popular children’s characters.
Healthfirst NJ was also honored to partner with the Newark Police/Fire Department and the Newark Police Athletic League Association to host a holiday event for the families of officers who recently lost their jobs due to budget cuts.
Finally, Healthfirst NJ responded quickly to the news that an unexpected fire in Perth Amboy left 35 families homeless. Healthfirst NJ donated gift cards for each family through the Harbortown Victims Aid Relief Fund, organized by the Office of the Mayor of Perth Amboy and the Jewish Renaissance Medical Center.
Activities and holiday events took place at the following locations, organized by county:
- Participated in a holiday celebration at the Lodi Senior Center in Lodi, NJ.
- Sponsored a community holiday celebration at the International Missionary Church in Newark, NJ.
- Partnered with the Newark Police/Fire Department and the Newark Police Athletic League Association on a holiday event in Newark, NJ to benefit Newark families.
- Partnered with Save Latin America on a holiday event in Union City, NJ and donated toys for children in attendance.
- Participated in a holiday celebration for seniors at the Salem Lafayette Community Center in Jersey City, NJ.
- Co-organized a holiday celebration for church members of La Esperanza Adventist Church in Union City, NJ.
- Participated in the Presbyterian Boys & Girls Club Carnival 40th Anniversary holiday celebration in Kearny, NJ.
- Sponsored the St. Joseph of Palisades holiday event in West New York, NJ and donated toys to the children there.
- Partnered with Family Care Physicians on a holiday event and donated toys to RWJ- Hamilton Family Practice Center in Hamilton, NJ.
- Partnered with The Zufall Health Center in Dover, NJ to host a holiday event and donated toys.
- Partnered with Somerset Family Practice in Somerville, NJ on a holiday celebration, including a toy donation.
- Sponsored the Plainfield Health Center's 5th Annual Holiday Kitchen Event in Plainfield, NJ.
- Sponsored Holiday at the Movies, organized by the City of Elizabeth and hosted by Jersey Gardens Mall Loews Theatre in Elizabeth, NJ.
- Assisted Elizabeth Senior Centers’ in organizing a citywide Inter-generational holiday party in Elizabeth, NJ for grandparents and grandchildren to celebrate the holidays.
- Celebrated with Trinitas Hospital Pediatric Clinic and Trinitas Hospital in Elizabeth, NJ.
Healthfirst NJ would like to thank its radio partners, La X, WADO, Kiss FM and Power 105.1 for providing holiday music and services at many of the events.
Healthfirst NJ looks to continue expanding its relationships with community groups and local organizations in 2011. If you are interested in partnering with Healthfirst NJ on an event in the New Jersey community, please contact the following individuals:
Bergen, Hudson and Passaic county: Amiris Perez, 201-532-0009
Essex, Union and Middlesex county: Aviva Woog, 201-748-9063
Somerset, Mercer and Morris county: Melissa Cornejo, 862-228-1785
Sussex county: Samuel Rodriguez, 201-621-2058
About Healthfirst NJ: Healthfirst Health Plan of New Jersey, Inc. (Healthfirst NJ) is a not-for-profit managed care organization that provides government-sponsored health insurance programs, including Medicare and NJ FamilyCare/Medicaid to eligible children, parents and Medicare beneficiaries living in various counties of New Jersey. Healthfirst NJ is part of the Healthfirst family of companies which includes Healthfirst in New York, HF Management Services LLC., which provides comprehensive administrative services to healthcare organizations, and Senior Health Partners (SHP), a not-for-profit managed long term care plan serving Medicaid-eligible clients. For more information, visit www.healthfirstnj.org.